What is SocialErasmus?
SocialErasmus is an international project started in 2011 in Poland, which became ESN flagship project in 2012. It consists in adding a social aspect to the exchange experience, providing international students with the opportunity of giving something back to the community that is hosting them.
ESN Odense is committed in organizing events and activities that help integrating international students and local community and, at the same time, give them the opportunity to have once in a lifetime volunteering experiences.
A sub-project of SocialErasmus, within the education pillar, is Erasmus in Schools. International students visit local schools (from kindergardens to high schools) to present their own culture and get to know local students. This project has a great impact in the integration of foreign students and improves intercultural communication in the young local community.
What have we done so far?
In the field of Charity, ESN Odense has already been active with several projects:
- Biking without Borders an national initiative (cykling uden alder) were we take elderly on a biking trip.
- Clothes collection for Reden Odense.
- ESN Bazaar. Leaving students can donate their things when they are leaving Odense. Incoming students have a chance to buy any of these things for a very good price. Profit from this is donated to organisation. (In Spring 2014 we supported Red Cross Odense)
- ESN Macho Night in connection with Movember 2013 have raised awareness and funds for prostate cancer research and therapy.
- ESN Christmas café have collected funds and presents for the orphanage "Casa Maria Jacinta" in Bolivia.
- ESN Odense have been the first Danish section to implement the 'Erasmus in Schools' project, with visits and cultural meetings at Tornbjerg Gymnasium and Skt. Knuds Gynmasium.
- And we have organized several 'Free hugs', Random Act of Kindness and 'compliment' events in the city centre.
SocialErasmus Week Fall 2016 - Cycling without borders
Erasmus in Schools
Every semester, ESN celebrates the SocialErasmus Week. During this week, ESN sections in 40 countries all over Europe organize special events under the above mentioned pillars of education, charity and environment.
Would you like to read more about SocialErasmus? Have a look at the SocialErasmus website.